Wednesday 29 November 2017

I remember...

...learning to ride a bicycle.  Firstly with stabilisers attached to the rear wheels.  Then the day came for the stabilisers to be removed and replaced by the strong and sturdy hand of my father, gripping the rear of my bike seat with him running along beside as I uncertainly wobbled along.  Dad would remove his steadying hand and I would peddle for a few feet before keeling over.  My confidence depleted, I pleaded for dad maintain his hold and run a long beside me, and he patiently persisted.  At the end of a long, hot afternoon I eventually, without even realising, travelled along unsupported, with dad standing way back behind me, in silence – hoping that I would not notice his absence!

Learning to travel along unsupported, maintaining the balance of our own lives, is something we can all strive to do and many of us know what it feels like to come across an unexpected bump which can unseat us, knock our confidence and even take us completely off course.  For the women we work with at A Way Out we can be that steadying hand and provide a reassuring presence to run along side, guide and steer a new, safer c  Our aim is to support our clients, working with them ultimately to a point of confidence where they feel secure enough to continue and maintain stability independently.
ourse.


Cycling has also resulted in a huge achievement for local fundraiser 89 year old Norman Franklin, who, along with his family cycled over 1000 miles and raised tens of thousands of pounds for local and national charities.  A Way Out is extremely grateful to have been chosen to be one of the beneficiaries of this amazing fundraising feat.  The funds donated will help A Way Out to continue to support some of Stockton’s most vulnerable women, young people and families – supporting them to make their own exciting and worthwhile life journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...